As I See It

by Mary Schamehorn

Mary Schamehorn

Mar 28, 2018

Again, I've been busy this week scanning more negatives from the '60s and '70s, including the three I am sharing with you this week.

The first one pictures members of the Bandon Playhouse practicing in the gym at Ocean Crest School, where many of their shows were held before they moved downtown to Harbor Hall and much later to the Sprague Community Theater, which they enjoy today.

Bandon Playhouse practicing in the gym at Ocean Crest School
Bandon Playhouse practicing in the gym at Ocean Crest School

While attending the recent production of "Annie" at The Little Theater on the Bay, I purchased two copies of a book titled "Encore, A History of Theaters and Theatre (their spelling, not mine) on Oregon's Southwestern Coast," by Dow Beckham.

The story of Bandon Playhouse is told in 32 glorious pages in the fascinating book (which sells for $5), and after reading about the productions the Playhouse put on in 1978, I think this must have been a rehearsal for "Anything Goes."

I can see Larry Means and Bob Burch, far left, and Alice Stadelman, in the middle front, as well as Willie Shindler, in white shirt, at left. I can see Tosca Means in the back facing the exit sign, and I think Anne Dixon (now Goddard) may be in this picture, but I'm not sure. She may be the one at far left with her arms outstretched.

I don't need to tell you how the accommodations have improved over the years, but this picture pretty well describes the Ocean Crest Gym and its small stage, which you can barely see at right.

The second and third pictures were taken 45 years ago ... in September of 1973 on both sides of Highway 101 at 11th Street.

The first one is looking west on 11th toward the Ocean Crest Grade School. The building at right, which was occupied by several real estate offices over the years including Jack and Modina Worden and Larry Means, now houses an exercise business, and has been added onto over the years.

Looking west on 11th toward the Ocean Crest School, 1973
Looking west on 11th toward the Ocean Crest School, 1973

The third picture is looking east on 11th, and the parking lot, which was adjacent to the 76 station, is now the home of Banner Bank. The brick building at the far left was the former bank, which changed names many times over the years, but started out as Bank of Bandon and was Western Bank for many years. The 76 station, which at one time was owned by Lanny Boston, is just out of the picture at left. I can see by the barely visible sign that the price of regular gas was 39.9 cents a gallon. The low-slung building in the center was Kaping's Florist, and today it is owned by Mary Cameron and is known as Bandon Floral and Gifts.

Looking east on 11th, 1973
Looking east on 11th, 1973

*           *           *

Judy Knox, the long-time executive director of the Bandon Historical Society museum called me this week with a history question. Unfortunately, neither one of us has been able to find the answer. Where was Dreamland? And was it a large dance hall here before the Fire?

I have determined that at the time of the Fire in 1936, there were two dance halls, including Silver Spray Gardens, which was said to be the largest on the Oregon Coast, and Azalea Gardens, which was owned by Tipperary Smith and was east of Bandon off what is now Highway 42S. I have searched through my history books and can find no mention of Dreamland, but Judy and I are sure we didn't "dream" it. We both know that it existed. These are the kinds of things I wished I had asked my mother, who died five years ago at age 96, and my uncle, who died two and a half years ago at age 92, as they most surely would have known the answer. But I promised Judy that I would keep looking.

*           *           *

While scanning in my "new' pictures this week I came across several of one of my very favorite people, David L. Davis, who died nine years ago at the age of 68. I sent them onto his brother, Fred Gernandt, who told me he had forwarded the pictures onto David's daughter, Sophie, who was the love of his life.

I learned that Sophie, 32, is now Dr. Sophie White, a neonatal pediatrician at Kaiser Permanente in Roseville, Calif. She graduated from OHSU medical school in 2010, and completed her pediatric residency and her neonatal fellowship at UC Davis.

Her husband, Eric White, is the co-head of Pension Consulting Alliance's defined contribution team.

Both are Oregon Ducks.

David would be so proud of her ....

*           *           *

My sisters and I have purchased tickets for the Coos County Friends of Public Health Recognition Lunch on April 10 where one of the four Super Stars being honored is from Bandon.

Linda Maxon, who is the executive director of Coast Community Health Center, is being honored along with Char Luther, New Community Connections; the Coos County Search & Rescue Dog Team Unit; and Linda Furman Grile, South Coast Hospice & Palliative Care Services.

The event is being held at the Black Market Gourmet in Coos Bay from 11:30 to 1, and people wanting to purchase tickets may call 541-266-6804 for reservations, according to Frances Smith, president of CCFPH.

*           *           *

The NCAA women's basketball tournament has had special meaning this year, with both the University of Oregon Ducks and the Oregon State Beavers making it to the Sweet 16, along with Stanford and UCLA out of the Pac12 conference. Stanford lost early. Oregon State lost Sunday, as did UCLA, but hopefully Oregon will win their Elite Eight game against Notre Dame Monday at 6, which would put them into the Final Four Friday night.

The championship game is Sunday, April 1, which also happens to be Easter Sunday.

It is doubtful that anyone will beat UConn, but Mississippi State proved that was possible last year when they ended UConn's 111-game winning streak in the championship game on a buzzer beater in overtime by their 5-5 guard Morgan William.

*           *           *

It's hard to imagine Southern Coos Hospital and Health Center without Donna Reilly.

May 15 will bring to an end the 35-year relationship between long-time employee Donna and the health district.

I remember covering the hospital district for many years while working as a reporter (and sometimes editor) of Western World, and I often went to Donna for the information I needed for my story.

She began working at the old hospital (on the hill overlooking the lighthouse) March 15, 1983, as a full-time office clerk. George Barnes was the CEO and Edie Beckner, for whom the nursing pavilion at the new hospital is named, was the head of nursing.

After the death of Valda Susac, office manager and head of medical records, in an auto accident on Highway 38 in 1985, Donna stepped in to fill that vacancy.

The old hospital on the bluff struggled financially in the 1990s, and at the end of the decade, it was pretty much going under. The finances were in such bad shape that George, Edie and Donna would hold off cashing their paychecks to make sure the rest of the employees would get paid.

It soon came down to a choice: close the hospital or build a new up-to-date facility, but the district lacked sufficient assets to obtain a loan.

Later, Donna and her husband, Jim, worked out an agreement with Bill Magness, giving the hospital a donation of several city blocks; but they would have to pay the back taxes on the property, which was scheduled to be repossessed by the county for delinquent taxes. The district agreed to pay the taxes, and that is now the site of the new hospital.

Jim and Donna credit former CEO Jim Wathen with carrying through on the diligent work needed in securing loans and establishing the current, modern facility. (I also noticed a Facebook post that said Jim had just completed chemotherapy at Cancer Care Northwest in Washington state, where he and his wife, Carri, moved several years ago.)

Although Donna has had many titles over those 35 years, her husband says she prefers to be thought of as a "helpful co-worker."

It's hard to imagine Southern Coos Hospital without Donna Reilly ....but she certainly deserves to retire and enjoy life.

*           *           *

Coos-Curry Electric suffered a major power outage Friday, which rendered Gold Beach and areas south to Brookings without power for several hours, due to a transmission line failure. My sister has an office in Gold Beach and she happened to be shopping when the lights went out and put the building into pitch darkness. Not a pleasant feeling when you've stepped away from your cart, your purse and your phone.

The power went off at 11:19 a.m. and by 2:10 p.m. most power was said to be restored.

*           *           *

I heard that the new owner of The Wheelhouse is offering a Bento plate on weekends, so I decided to try it out Sunday. I ordered it to go, and it was absolutely delicious: salmon, shrimp, tempura vegetables, egg roll, sushi roll and a salad. I often get one to go at Sumin's in Coos Bay, and I worried that it wouldn't be as good. Not to worry. It was actually better from The Wheelhouse.

Bandon is indeed fortunate to have so many wonderful restaurants.

As I See It

by Mary Schamehorn

Mary Schamehorn

Mar 21, 2018

All three of the pictures I am sharing this week were "discovered" among my still-unscanned stash of negatives this week. I spent many evenings last week scanning some 600 negatives into the computer, and some of the photos I found were pretty exciting.

Not everyone get excited over finding 50-year-old photos of Dr. Lucas' retirement party, my grandparents at a chamber of commerce dinner shortly before he died, a series of photos of the largest load of lumber ever to leave the Bandon harbor, and on and on.

I love to scan the negatives from envelopes which simply say "man" or "woman" and the date. You have no idea who you will find until the image begins to appear. What amazes me is that even after 50 years I can still identify many of the people in those photos. My short-term memory may not be as sharp as it once was (what was I after when I went into the other room?) but my long-term memory is razor sharp. That's why it's important that I finish this scanning project before I come to the day when I can't remember the faces in the photos.

The first picture doesn't look like much, but from a historic standpoint, it's dynamite. I almost discarded the negative because it was so light that I did not even see an imagine, but I thought I would try to see what I could come up with. And I am glad I did. After much tweaking of the exposure, I came up with this Sunset Motel sign taken in November of 1959. You can just see the edge of what was the Brown's first motel room.

Sunset Motel, 1959
Sunset Motel, 1959

But it's what you don't see in the background that is interesting. This picture was taken from the edge of Sunset's property looking north at the bare piece of property which now houses Lord Bennett's restaurant. If you can blow this up to get a good look at it, you will see a fallen down fence and piles of debris.

The sign, across the driveway, reads: "Welcome to Sunset, continental breakfast, apartments, hotel-type rooms, with individual heat, electric kitchens, TV fireplace TV."

To say that this motel has come a long way in the nearly 60 years since this photo was taken is an understatement.

The one thing that has remained constant is that it is still in the same ownership: the Brown family (Judy Densmore), with much of the original motel built by Judy's grandfather, Herbert Brown, and her father, Vern Brown.

Another of my recent "finds" was an envelope of Lions club members working on various community projects, both out at city park and at the beach, where this photo was taken.

Lions Club building stairs to the beach
Lions Club building stairs to the beach

Pictured in front is long-time mayor Ray Kelley, pushing a wheelbarrow, as the Lions work at building a set of stairs to the beach. Although I don't recognize the man seeming to direct traffic, I do see Ray's son Kingsley in back with a shovel.

I have chosen to share this third picture, which is also one I found this week, of Dr. Del Remy, who died March 9 at the age of 83. This picture was taken in 1971 when Del and his wife, Ann, and his partner, Dr. John Abbott, were at the elementary school to share their knowledge with an eager group of youngsters.

Dr. Del Remy, 1971
Dr. Del Remy, 1971

Del and Ann could always be found helping the locals schools in one way or another, whether it be spearheading Project Graduation or volunteering in the classrooms of their children, LeeAnn and Gary.

Dr. Remy will be missed by a legion of children and adults, whose lives he touched during his five decades in Bandon.

*           *           *

I have learned that the new owner of Second Street Gallery is Carrie Kreutzer McKim, 39, who was raised in Bandon and is the daughter of Laurie Kreutzer.

She is married to Chris McKim, a former police officer and Coast Guardsman, who is a gunsmith by trade. Several years ago he opened Bear Creek Gunworks on Fillmore Avenue.

I am sure the former owners of the Gallery, Pete Bauer and Candace Kreitlow, will keep very busy. She is a well-known musician, best known for playing the harp, and as a singer-songwriter.

I understand the building, which also houses Coastal Mist, is in the process of being sold to a California man. I've been told it sold for less than the $595,000 asking price, but I don't have that figure or any more about the new owner.

*           *           *

I've learned that Bandon native Paula Colgrove will soon be moving to Virginia to be near her daughter. She talked with one of my sisters last week, who said she will be moving into a brand new retirement center, only five minutes from her daughter's home.

She is thrilled to be moving nearer to family, and is looking forward to seeing her granddaughter and great-grandson.

Before suffering some health problems, Paula was busy making her mother Hazel Colgrove's "Cranberry Catsup," and was an active volunteer at the Bandon Historical Society museum, where she was in charge of the gift shop.

Paula graduated from Bandon High School in 1971.

*           *           *

I remember the night of Bite of Bandon, the very successful fundraiser which benefitted the Bandon Youth Center. It was a sold-out crowd and the weather outside was cold.

Early the next week, the fire alarm went off at the Barn/Community Center because the motor of the heat pump burned up, pretty much destroying the unit itself, which is on the roof of the building. Although not extensive, smoke made its way through the heat ducts into most of the rooms on the north end of the building.

Had that occurred several days before Bite of Bandon, it could have been disastrous as the city could not get a replacement motor because of the extent of the damage.

I understand that the new unit is supposed to be installed the first week in April, which should be in time for the annual Bash for Cash event that weekend.

*           *           *

I was used to seeing the name "Captain Bill Fugate" pop up in my email as he was the public information officer for the Oregon State Police. In fact, several months ago I sent him an email asking for more information about a certain crime that he was reporting. We emailed back and forth discussing the issue.

You can imagine my surprise to learn that on Feb. 28 the Captain was placed on administrative leave pending a criminal investigation, which involved him allegedly threatening his wife while possessing a gun. She had told him she was divorcing him. She obtained a restraining order against him.

My guess is that his career with the Oregon State Police is over ... but who knows?

Many years ago I was married to an Oregon State Police officer, whose career ended equally as sadly. Long after we had divorced, he was stopped on the freeway for drunk driving. He did not have an ID on him, but he told them he was a detective with the Oregon State Police. The arresting officer did not believe him.

But he was who he said he was ... and that was the end of his long career in law enforcement.

He did go on to work campus security at Oregon State University, and was involved in the high-profile Ted Bundy case. But it was never the same for him ...

*           *           *

Speaking of Oregon State University, their women's basketball team punched their ticket to the Sweet 16 Sunday by handing the Tennessee Vols their first home tournament loss in 52 games, dating back three decades.

The Vols were one of the most storied programs in the history of women's basketball under famed coach Pat Summitt, who was forced to resign in 2011 after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease. In the 38 years that she coached the Vols, she had a record of 1,098 wins and 208 losses (.841)

What made Sunday's win for the Beavers even sweeter is that three of the Vols starters were former Oregon high school standouts, who Beaver coach Scott Rueck had tried to recruit, but they chose to go to Tennessee.

I am writing this before the Oregon women play Minnesota tonight (Sunday) at 7:30, but certainly the state can be proud of both Oregon and OSU's women's basketball programs.

The Oregon men lost to Marquette 101-92 in a NIT game Sunday.

As I See It

by Mary Schamehorn

Mary Schamehorn

Mar 14, 2018

I love this first picture, as it shows how hard the city crew had to work to keep First Street from being eroded by flood waters.

First Street during the flood of 1961
First Street during the flood of 1961

This picture was taken in February of 1961 at the east end of First Street just before it merges with Fillmore Avenue. Police Chief D. S. "Big Mac" MacDonald is in the center of the group of men, in the white trench coat. In the background you can see one of the old shacks that was along First Street in those days, and next to it was Ernie Panter's warehouse.

The second picture was taken during the Cranberry Festival of 1973 as C.E. "Eddie" Waldrop, grand marshal, is driven down the parade route by Gordon Texley.

Cranberry Festival Parade, 1973
Cranberry Festival Parade, 1973

This is Second Street, in front of what was then Sadye's confectionary. Norma Norton (later Robertson) is standing in front of the door. Sadye's was owned for many years by her sister and husband, Margaret and Clarence Mack. Today, that building houses Alloro Wine Bar and Restaurant. As you go down the street you can see the building that is now Bandon Coffee Cafe, and next to it several buildings that have long since been torn down, including at far left, the Bandon Theater.

Eddie, who was a partner in Kronenberg & Waldrop Insurance with George Kronenberg, was a dedicated public servant, and served 22 years as a city councilor and later long-time mayor.

I remember taking this picture of Bandon's best loved "bird man" Dan Deuel in 1981 as he and an assistant were cutting up bits of meat to feed his birds.

"Bird man" Dan Deuel, 1981

This was taken at his home off Portland Avenue, west of Beach Loop. He was well-known up and down the coast for his efforts at rescuing birds, and many people loved volunteering at his facility.

*           *           *

I was thrilled when I heard that Goodnight Lucas had stopped by the museum recently to give them a group of 8x10 wedding pictures, which turned out to be the wedding of my uncle Lou Felsheim and his bride, Anne Sweet, who were married March 9, 1950. Jim Proehl said he thought that Goodnight knew whose wedding it was and felt they might have historic value. Which they definitely do.

A very young Sue Sweet is the flower girl and one of Anne's nephews is the other young attendant. There was a full complement of bridesmaids and groomsmen, including all three of Anne's brothers, A.W. and Don Sweet (both of whom are still alive) and Piercy, who died many years ago.

The pictures that I found most interesting were the crowd photos of those attending the reception at St. John's Episcopal Church, which was held in Theresa Hall (donated by Anne's father, W.J. Sweet, in memory of her mother, Theresa).

In the group photos, I could see Dr. E.F. Lucas, George Chappell, Ed Capps, Piercy Sweet, Barbara Wright (later Stearns), Betty Wright (later MacDonald), Ottilie Peterson, Alda Mars, Freddie Moore, and a host of others that I can't remember, because I don't have the photos here with me.

As my grandparents, of course, were parents of the groom, there was a great picture of W.J. and his wife, Clara, and my grandparents, Louie and Grace Felsheim, coming out of the church.

What a treasure ... thanks to the kindness of Goodnight Lucas.

Lou and Anne's daughter, Carol Jones, has recently moved back here from Las Vegas and is living in the family home at Randolph. I know she and her brothers, John and James, will love to see the photos.

*           *           *

It was great to see Art By The Sea Gallery in their new location, adjacent to the Station Restaurant at Highway 101 and Fillmore Avenue. They held their Grand Opening and a reception Saturday honoring the winners of their latest show, and the place was crowded with people who enjoyed wonderful art, good food and a bit of wine.

The group of artists opened several years ago in the Continuum Center building in Old Town, but later moved a block east adjacent to The Wheelhouse. But that building has sold, and once again they had to move. I think their new space is a good fit for them, and I am so glad they have found what hopefully will be their permanent home.

*           *           *

I was sad to learn of the death of Jack Bowder, who died in his King City, Or., home Feb. 22 at the age of 73.

I got to know the Bowder family well when Jack's sister, Marilyn, and her husband, Warren Strycker, owned Western World. They are a great family.

Jack's wife, Sally, told me that he was diagnosed with lymphoma only 16 days before he died, but she admitted he had not been feeling well. She added that he always loved to read my column in the Western World each week. I think my old pictures particularly resonate with people who used to live here, although I also hear from people new to the community who appreciate knowing what the town used to look like.

Jack and Sally, who met in Anchorage, Alaska, married June 25, 1966, in Bandon. In 1972 he graduated from OIT with a degree in civil engineering, and after graduating he had a career with BLM as a cadastral surveyor that spanned 33 years.

Jack and Sally moved to Tigard in 1985 with their five children, and welcomed nine grandchildren into their world.

*           *           *

In case you have found a spare garbage tote bin in your yard, I know where it belongs. Because I have been fighting a bad cold, I did not venture out into the driveway Thursday to pick up my can, and when I went out Friday I was in a hurry and said we could pick it up when I got back from City Hall where I served 6 hours on the oral board for new police officer candidates.

But when I got home, it was gone. I figured David had come over and put it in the garage, but that did not happen either. I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would steal a garbage can, which was right in front of my house.

But I do know one thing for sure, there is quite a bit of garbage (from someone else's can), which apparently blew into my yard Wednesday night. If I had realized how hard the wind was going to blow I would not have even put my can out.

So, while I no longer have a garbage can, I do have a giant cereal box (the bulk kind) and several other large pieces of trash in my yard, with nowhere to put it.

I guess I will call Bandon Disposal Monday and see if I can get my can replaced. I believe they have numbers on them, so maybe they will find mine in someone's yard.

*           *           *

It was interesting to see that Kathy Eymann, wife of Bill Bradbury, filed for the county commission seat now held by John Sweet. In her first announcement, she indicated she was going to run for the position now held by Melissa Cribbins, but decided against it at the last minute.

I will still continue to lend my support to John and Melissa.

*           *           *

I read on Facebook this week that long-time Bandon resident, Ron Elliott, had undergone spinal surgery four weeks ago in Eugene, which had not turned out as well as they had hoped. Ron has been a member of the Bandon Fire Department for 49 years and worked for many years for the local telephone company.

I do know that as a result of the surgery, he suffered some partial paralysis, and when I talked to a member of the Fire Department Friday, he was still in Eugene undergoing rehabilitation therapy.

A friend reminded me that this will be the 50th year that Ron has shot off the Fourth of July fireworks, along with Anthony Zunino and Jim McDowell. This will also be the 50th year Ron has been a member of the BHS football "chain gang," on the down marker, and I have learned that he's only missed two games in those 49 years. If anyone deserves Volunteer of the Year award, it is Ron.

I certainly hope for a good outcome for Ron and Donna . . .

*           *           *

Another Bandon High School graduate, Carolyn Chandlee Greene, died March 5 of congestive heart failure in the hospital in Waco, Texas. She graduated from BHS in 1960.

Sharon Ward Moy told me that she and Carolyn had been friends since the Chandlees moved to Bandon many years ago and lived next to the Wards on the hill across the street from the Baptist Church. They later built a home on Riverside Drive. She was married to John Greene, who graduated from Coquille High School.

As I See It

by Mary Schamehorn

Mary Schamehorn

Mar 07, 2018

I can still remember when the building now occupied by the Bandon Historical Society Museum was the Bandon City Hall.

City Hall during the flood of 1961
City Hall during the flood of 1961

This picture was taken during the flood of 1961, and I can spot long-time city manager (called manager of utilities in those days) John Fasnacht, on the porch. John was a true public servant, having served as both school superintendent and manager of utilities. In the background you can see what was then Yockey Electric, and is now Reese Electric. Although I am not sure if the picture is cropped, you may be able to see the service station across Fillmore from the city hall, in the far left side of the photo. The city hall not only housed the city offices, but in the southeast corner was the library, and at right, along the highway, was where the fire trucks were housed. There were also at least one, and possibly two, living quarters for firemen behind where the trucks were parked.

After the new/current city hall was built in about 1970, this building was home to a number of commercial businesses, including The Old City Hall and Christopher's. Along with Lloyd's, it was THE place to go to dance.

The second photo was taken during the Cranberry Festival parade in 1961.

Cranberry Festival parade, 1961
Cranberry Festival parade, 1961

I believe these girls were Harbor Lights cheerleaders and the band behind them was probably the junior high band. The ones I can identify were, left, my cousin Kristine Stearns, maybe an Olinger girl, Sandy Peters, Carolyn Mullikin and I think the girl at right is Patty Luther.

This picture was taken looking west on Second Street, which today is a one-way street. Merritt J. Senter's real estate and insurance agency is at the far right; alongside that is Bandon Florist, and on down is Boone's Hardware (all three spaces now owned by Lynn Davies), The Pastime tavern (now Bandon Sweets & Treats), Lloyd's Cafe, and I think that Erdman's meat market was still on the corner, where the empty Lloyd's building is today.

The building across the street from Lloyd's had housed a number of businesses over the years, but when this picture was taken it was Carver's Furniture. Today, the building that sits on that property houses Second Street Gallery and Coastal Mist.

The third picture shows long-time Bandon businessman and well-loved public servant Elmer Gant, at right, as he receives an award during a Boy Scout Court of Honor in May of 1965.

Boy Scout Court of Honor, 1965
Boy Scout Court of Honor, 1965

I don't recognize the man presenting the award, but just to the right of Elmer, I can see a long-time scout executive from Coquille (although his name eludes me). You couldn't have found nicer people than Elmer and Grace Gant, who had five children: Jim, Tom, Gloria, Glenda and Susan. Elmer was in the men's clothing business at the time of the fire, and opened on Second Street after the fire. According to a directory from 1940, he was secretary of the Bandon Chamber of Commerce, which met at The Minute Cafe. Later he grew cranberries, and also served on the local school board.

*           *           *

I've learned that the picture I shared last week, which was taken on Second Street near the theater, was actually taken during a Fourth of July celebration and not during the Saturday Street Sale. I admitted that I wasn't sure, but a person involved with SSS made sure I retracted the statement.

What made the photo interesting were the buildings in the background, which is generally my reason for sharing photos like that.

*           *           *

I was sorry to learn that Judy Favilla, 76, had died suddenly last Saturday when she and her husband, Paul, had gone to Seaside to attend a jazz festival. Among other contributions she made to the community, Judy was a volunteer at the visitor center.

I talked with Paul, who is very active with the Bandon Lions Club, this week and he said that they had gone up the coast to the festival, and after eating dinner, had gotten in the car to return to the motel. But upon getting there he found her non-responsive. He said they are pretty sure it was not a heart attack or a stroke, but are not really sure what caused her death, which could be attributed to medication she was taking for a previous back surgery.

Services for Judy will be held Wednesday, March 7, at Hauser Community Church at noon.

*           *           *

I understand that the Second Street Gallery business has been sold by Pete Bauer and Candace Kreitlow, but the building, which also houses Coastal Mist, has not been sold. It is owned by Grover Hatcher and the price has recently been lowered to $595,000. The building was originally listed for $795,000.

I have not heard who bought the gallery.

*           *           *

I am an ardent basketball fan, and this past weekend caused quite a few conflicts for me. I so much wanted to watch the University of Oregon women, who were playing in the semi-finals of the Pac12 championships for the first time in program history Saturday night ... at the exact same time that Bite of Bandon was going on, which I have never missed.

So I decided that I would attend Bite of Bandon, and enjoy all the wonderful food, but I chose to watch the last quarter of the nail-biting game on my phone. Sorry if it looked like I was hooked on Facebook or texting someone. I have followed the Ducks throughout the season, and simply did not wish to miss this important game, which they won in the last few seconds.

Unfortunately, not only did I miss the championship game, when the Ducks were playing Stanford (a team that beat them earlier in the season), but I also missed the Academy Awards because the Bandon Showcase program was also Sunday night, and I almost never miss one of their programs. And, no, I did not watch the game during the show.

I taped the Academy Awards.

I had waited all year for the Academy Awards because I have become a movie fanatic and I have watched almost all of the movies that were nominated.

*           *           *

Speaking of basketball, the Pacific High School Pirates won the State A1 championship in Baker City Saturday night by a convincing score of 73-50. They are coached by Bandon resident Ben Stallard, a member of the Stallard family from Powers, who were Cruiser sports standouts for several generations. The Stallards (Nicky, Shirley, Ted, Tim and Ben) were my neighbors in Powers and you could not have found a greater family. Ben's wife Megan is the special education teacher at Harbor Lights Middle School.

*           *           *

Bullards Beach State Park has a new manager. Nick Schoeppner is replacing Bandon native Ben Fisher, who retired Nov. 30 after 34 years with the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department.

Schoeppner, who also served as a volunteer Bandon police reserve before accepting the position with OPRD, graduated with honors in political science from Willamette University. He started as a seasonal park ranger at Cape Lookout State Park in Tillamook, before being hired by Fisher as a Park Ranger in 2013. Fisher then promoted him to Park Ranger 2 in 2016.

"He's one of the finest young men I've ever had the pleasure of knowing and I can't tell you how pleased I am to see him take over as manager at Bullards," Fisher told me. Sgt. Larry Lynch, who worked with Schoeppner when he was a reserve, also had high praise for the young man.

Schoeppner's wife, Chelsea, works at Umpqua Bank.

*           *           *

Friday night, during that horrible cold spell, some 800 customers of Coos-Curry Electric lost power for several hours before it was restored around 10:45 p.m., according to one woman who posted on Facebook. Coos-Curry Electric explained that the power outage was due "to an issue out of our Morrison substation. We are working on feeding these lines from alternate feeds." And they gave a number for people to report power outages (866-352-9044).

For people like me, who have no other source of heat, it must have been a very cold evening. Fortunately the outage did not affect City of Bandon customers.

*           *           *

Don't forget that Daylight Saving Time begins Sunday, March 11, so you need to turn your clocks ahead one hour before you go to bed Saturday night.

*           *           *

I understand that the man killed in a head-on crash the other night on Highway 42 near the Powers Junction, Daniel Thomas McCutcheon, 51, of Coos Bay, was a member of Bandon Animal Rescue. He was a passenger in a vehicle driven by Kathy Ann Hebert, 57, of Myrtle Point, which was struck head-on by a pickup operated by Garrison Chance Demain, 22, of Coquille. Speed, alcohol and reckless driving are being investigated as possible causes of the wreck. He was taken to Coquille Valley Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Hebert was taken to OHSU in Portland with critical injuries.

*           *           *

The Oregon State Police put out a press release March 1 indicating they are investigating the fact that several commercial motor vehicles have been randomly struck by unknown projectiles while driving on Highway 101 between Langlois and Port Orford during the early morning hours.

So far, no private passenger cars have reported being struck. The projectiles have not penetrated the metal of the vehicle, but have caused moderate damage and no physical injuries.

If you are driving through the area and are the victim of a projectile striking your vehicle, you should continue to drive to a safe location and then call 9-1-1 immediately, according to the OSP report.

Previous columns by Mary Schamehorn