As I See It

by Mary Schamehorn

Mary Schamehorn

January 25, 2017

The first picture I am sharing this week was taken at the old Port of Bandon dock in June of 1962.

Fishing for smelt, 1962
Fishing for smelt, 1962

This was a familiar scene as young and old alike flocked to the dock to fish for smelt. What I love about this picture is Moore Mill and Lumber Co. in the background, a small glimpse of the old truck shop and a commercial fishing boat docked at the pier.

Last week I shared a picture of the Coquille Valley Dairy Co-op, and heard from two of my readers, who shared memories. The first came from Jill Chappell Sumerlin who recognized the 1956 Buick Special parked in front of the cheese factory as belonging to her uncle Wesley Chappell, who was manager at that time. The car was Columbia blue and white, and Jill remembers that they had a white 1955 Buick Roadmaster at that time. Her father, George Chappell, owned Chappell's Chevron Station directly across Highway 101 from the cheese factory. This picture features Wesley Chappell as he guides an expansion to the east end of the cheese factory in November of 1959.

Expanding the cheese factory, 1959
Expanding the cheese factory, 1959

Gary Scorby, who still lives in Bandon, shared his memories: "How well I remember this. There were times when I would be visiting the guys at Chappell's Service Station or Jess Tucker's (Shell) station when someone from the cheese factory would come over and ask if I or we would like to help unload the ONC truck (pictured last week). I recall more than once taking the job and of course we were paid for our time. I also worked at the Shell Station prior to joining the USAF. Our lunch generally consisted of warm curds, chocolate milk from the dairy behind the cheese factory and a box of vanilla wafers. Ahhhh good healthy meal. In later years my wife and I operated a dairy and shipped milk to the Bandon co-op," Gary said.

The third picture was taken the day after the Bandon Fire of Sept. 26, 1936, and shows what was left after the ammonia tanks at the cheese factory (which has pretty much always been at the same location) exploded as the cheese factory burned to the ground.

The cheese factory after the fire, 1936
The cheese factory after the fire, 1936

Ironically, the two houses that you can see across the highway are still there, although you don't notice them as much because there is a chain link fence along Ferry Creek. (I grew up in the large house and my aunt and uncle, Clyde and Nellie Stearns, lived in the smaller cottage).

I have been wanting to share what I learned from Dow Beckham's book "Bandon By-The-Sea," which tells the story of the Fire.

He writes: "The Bandon fire won the overall victory, but Clyde Stearns and the Marshfield fire crew helped to save north Bandon and the Planing mill, as well as the large Moore (Mill & Lumber Co.) sawmill. The twisted metal of the creamery equipment (pictured) showed that it was a miracle that saved Stearns' home as well as the Coats and York homes bordering Ferry Creek. Stearns fought the fire about his home until fear for the safety of his family caused him to take them to Bear Creek. The York family and Mrs. Coats had already left. Stearns returned to his home. He climbed on the roof to fight sparks when the creamery ammonia tanks exploded. The blast blew him to the ground, but he was not seriously hurt. The Marshfield firemen arrived and started pumping out of Ferry Creek. They kept the fire from crossing north of the creek. Stearns and the firemen gained control of the fire thereby saving three homes.

"Their efforts kept the fire from destroying the main industrial plants of Bandon as well as many homes in that area."

If you look carefully, you can see the ladder from which my uncle fell, leaning up against the west side of the cottage.

Uncle Clyde (who was the half brother of my father) went on to serve several terms on both the city council and the port commission.

Growing up I had never heard the story of his heroics, so I was pleasantly surprised to read about it in Beckham's book.

*           *           *

I was saddened to learn that a member of my high school class, Gilbert "Hap" McLeod died Jan. 14 in Mt. Vernon, Ore., where he lived. But even sadder was the fact that his younger brother, Andy, died four days later, on Jan. 18. Andy lived on Two Mile Road.

I went back to look at my 1957 school annual, and Hap was the first guy pictured ... as he was named "Most Friendly," which was certainly true.

*           *           *

I often look at Facebook, although I will say that I seldom post anything unless I find something that I feel could be shared.

Sunday morning, someone asked if Highway 42S from Bandon to Coquille was open as she had heard there was a slide.

One reader pointed out that someone had posted last week that Highway 42 was closed between Myrtle Point and Roseburg by a large slide ... but it turned out that the slide was a year ago.

Another suggested going to for the information.

Another added that the Beaver Hill route from Coquille to Bandon is closed.

One woman said she had driven the road Friday and it was open, while another said she had driven it yesterday (Saturday). "It was down to one lane while they cleaned up the slide, but it is still open."

The last poster confirmed that she had come over Highway 42S the previous night. "There is a small slide but not impeding any lanes of traffic."

This is the reason I so often look at other people's posts ... or go to TripCheck.

Nothing better than first-hand information ... if you can wade through the political posts.

*           *           *

I read two things on the marijuana issue this week, and have decided to share a bit of information from both of them.

The first is titled "pot problems on the rise," and was written by Mehmet Oz, M.D., host of "The Dr. Oz Show."

He refers to the states who have legalized recreational marijuana, including Oregon.

"No wonder marijuana use more than doubled from 2001 to 2013. Unfortunately, according to a study in JAMA Psychiatry, in 2012-13, nearly 30 percent of users had marijuana use disorder, otherwise known as MUD.

"That's a huge percentage. Symptoms include problems with normal functioning, cravings, and withdrawal symptoms, such as inability to sleep, restlessness, nervousness, anger or depression within a week of ceasing heavy use.

"There are also neurocognitive and psychiatric repercussions of MUD, especially in young people and young adults.

"When researchers at Columbia University Medical Center looked at the brains of folks who started smoking cannabis at 16, became dependent by 20 and have been dependent for the past seven years, they found that compared with nonsmokers they had lower dopamine release in brain areas that affect learning and working memory tasks.

He adds that if someone you love needs help with marijuana dependence, go to"

Here is the good news: "The Oregon Department of Revenue announced Friday that taxes on recreational marijuana sales bought in $60.2 million in 2016. The state has been collecting recreational marijuana taxes since January 2016."

Sorry that the good news is so much shorter than the "bad" news ... but that's the way it is.

*           *           *

I had barely gotten up Saturday morning when my friend sent me three or four pictures taken of the huge surf which struck the Oregon Coast and the South Jetty Saturday morning.

I am used to occasionally seeing this kind of surf, but I wasn't prepared for what happened up the coast. Warnings had been issued about a high surf advisory which translated to life-threatening and damaging waves, said to have reached 20 feet.

I learned that a woman was injured by a wave that hit her hotel balcony about 8 a.m. at the Surftides Resort in Lincoln City. The balcony was nearly "demolished" after it was hit by what a fire spokesman estimated to be a 10-foot wave.

Mammoth breakers destroyed a handful of condos in Rockaway Beach, on the north coast, according to a post at

Photos accompanied much of the information, including a very frightening picture of a man up to his knees in the surf.

A woman snapped the picture of the man holding his camera getting walloped by a wave. "Local residents have been documenting an extraordinary number of near-death incidences there, and the woman who took the photo said this is the closest she had ever come to seeing someone die right in front of her. The man was knocked over on his back for a bit and lost his camera, but managed to get out of the surf."

The article adds that a Hawaiian tourist died there last month.

And we all know that a Eugene area man and his three-year-old son died last week after being swept out to sea by a huge wave while his family was walking along the beach near Floras Lake at Boice Cope Park.

If I had one piece of advice for people, besides stay off the beach at this time of year, it would be to NEVER turn your back on the ocean.

As one person posted: "They are called sneaker waves because people essentially don't watch them."

Another disagreed: "Sneaker waves are called that because they are outliers that 'sneak' up on people who are lulled into complacency by smaller waves which are more common."

Another good reason to never turn your back on the ocean.

As I See It

by Mary Schamehorn

Mary Schamehorn

January 18, 2017

The first photo I am sharing this week is one of my favorites as it shows one of the very first businesses to rebuild after the Fire ... the Coquille Valley Dairy Co-op (although I think it had a different name when it was first rebuilt).

Coquille Valley Dairy Co-op, 1958
Coquille Valley Dairy Co-op, 1958

This photo was taken in June of 1958 when the cheese factory was right along the highway on basically the same property that Face Rock Creamery now occupies.

This was a familiar scene for me since I lived right across the highway and would often "risk my life" trying to cross 101 to get my fix of cheese curds. Note the pile of lumber and high grass at the west end of the building ...

This was an important business to the economic vitality of the Coquille Valley, where numerous dairy herds fed their milk into this thriving business.

You can still see the remnants of this once magnificent structure known as Natureland, which was located several miles south of town on Beach Loop Road.


John Dornath and his eight children had been able to save Natureland, the family home, from the Bandon Fire. Not sure when this photo was taken, but it was surely after the Fire. The signs says "new artistic building materials. Stop at Dornath & Sons, Coquille," where their business was located.

I saw an interesting reference to the Dornaths in the book Bandon-by-the-Sea by Dow Beckham as he talks about the Fire destroying all six units of Queen Anne Cottages, owned by W. J. Sweet and named for my aunt, Anne Sweet Felsheim. He adds:

"The first person the Sweets encountered at the Queen Anne was Mr. Dornath, whose face was blackened by the smoke. Tears were streaming down his face. He was crying and the Sweets thought that his beautiful home, called Natureland, must have been destroyed. Instead, his tears and crying were for the rest of Bandon's people who had lost everything. He and his children, among them John, Ted, Enno, Louise, Violet, Jasper, Stanley and Irene, had been able to save their buildings which are still intact."

The third picture, taken in 1955, was the Bob-Otto Court, which survived the Fire and became the relief headquarters for Bandon.

Bob-Otto Court, 1955
Bob-Otto Court, 1955

There are so many references to the Bob-Otto Court in Dow Beckham's book because it was one of few buildings downtown to survive.

Beckham says, "The term 'going downtown' now meant going to the Bob-Otto Court, a service station, and a few motel units. One could always find someone who knew what new buildings were being constructed ... or information on friends not yet seen. The Court also maintained a bulletin board for messages."

Another reference says: "On Friday after the Fire, the National Guard Band from Marshfield played a concert at the Bob Otto. To the scores of people assembled there, in ill-fitting clothes, it was a spiritual tonic. We clapped, we hummed, we whistled ... it was marvelous."

The Court also served as a first aid station for several nurses and a doctor from Myrtle Point who began treating burn victims with dressings and ointment and also helping to clear smoke-filled eyes. One of the nurses noted that Bandon's Dr. Lucas (who brought me into the world) was there, but Dr. Wilson was out of town.

The Bob-Otto Court was located at Elmira and 101, about where the Shell station is now.

The big building you can see at right is/was the Coast Lumber Yard, which served as the U.S. Post Office soon after the Fire.

*           *           *

I don't think I've ever shared the story, written by Oregonian columnist Steve Duin, as how I happened to have all the negatives that I share each week with my readers.

He came to Bandon in the spring of 2015 to interview me, and on March 14, of that year he wrote a wonderful story about me. I am so used to writing about others, that is always amazes me when I actually read something written about me ... rather than by me.

Accompanying the article was a picture of me sitting on a Douglas Fir stump at a Moore Mill logging site in 1966 when I had accompanied my sister Maggie's class on a tree-planting exhibition, so I could take pictures for the paper.

"The editor of the Western World in the early '80s, Schamehorn came to work one morning to find a dozen boxes piled at the back door. The newspaper was abandoning its corner office inside the old Price 'n Pride off Highway 101, and the boxes -- the Western World's photo archive, at least 30,000 negatives -- were headed elsewhere.

" 'We're hauling 'em to the dump,' publisher John Cribb said.

"Schamehorn was stunned. She was the paper's news hound, intrepid photographer and contentious historian. With Rolleiflex or Nikon in hand, she framed many of those shots. She lived most of the stories.

"So, she loaded the negatives into her car. 'I had an old, old house that survived the (1936) fire,' she says, 'and a creepy old basement. I hauled them to the basement box by box. For 30 years, I've hauled them with me. I didn't know what I would ever do with them.'

" 'Until scanning came along.' The ultimate in salvage operations."

That is pretty much the story of how I came to have/save this important part of Bandon's history ... which I have left to the museum in my will. Jim Proehl has helped me scan many of the negatives into a digital format ... but we still have a lot more to do.

Every time I send a family member a picture of themselves or their loved one, I remember why I saved those thousands of negatives ... although at the time it was more of a burden than anything else.

If you would like to read the whole column, just Google Steve Duin about Mary Schamehorn and it should could come up.

*           *           *

I keep reading on Facebook that a number of locals have had, or are still battling, the flu-type crud that so many people have been struck with this winter.

I was pretty much at home for 16 days with it, and I still don't have my energy back, although the cough finally went away. I am used to having bad colds, but this was different.

And I don't want to see it return . . .

*           *           *

Received a press release this week from the airport district with the news that United Airlines will resume its twice weekly summer nonstop service between North Bend and Denver on June 14.

(Right now, summer seems like a long ways off with all the cold weather we've been having).

Sunday and Wednesday roundtrip flights between Southwest Oregon Regional Airport and Denver International will be offered between June 11 and Oct. 4 on United's CRJ-700 jet aircraft, which has seating for up to 70 passengers.

Flights will arrive in North Bend at 1:09 p.m. and depart for Denver at 1:44 p.m.

Tickets for the flights are available at or by calling 800-864-8331.

Not sure exactly how important this news is to the locals, but I am sure it will be a big benefit to the Bandon Dunes Golf Resort.

I also learned that the airport board of directors recently decided that people no longer have to pay to park at the airport. It's now a free service, which is a good thing since this airport district is funded by the taxpayers of Coos County.

*           *           *

I was sorry to hear that Captain Jerry White had died last week. A note in the Coos Bay World said that a celebration of life for Jerry, who was a member of the Bandon High School Class of 1962, will be this Saturday (Jan. 21) from 1 to 4 p.m. at the Red Lion Inn, Umpqua Ballroom, 1313 Bayshore Drive, Coos Bay.

*           *           *

Saw an update on Leslie Ann Ballentine, who has been in Portland's OHSU, says she was struck by a car south of Bandon in late November. Friends had long hoped that Leslie Ann would get the help she needed, and according to her long-time friend Gary Ellis, it appears that has happened.

Gary posted on his Facebook page that Leslie has been placed in a home in Beaverton, and "seems to be adjusting fine." He said he spoke with her and she "sounded great and is making new friends."

He thanked OHSU for all the "help they gave her and the extra help in finding her a place to be located."

According to a relative, who contacted me by phone shortly after the accident, Leslie Ann is also believed to suffer from Huntington's Disease.

But at least now she is getting the help she has needed for a long time. And a lot of the thanks goes to Gary Ellis, for standing by and helping her . . . when she needed it most.

As I See It

by Mary Schamehorn

Mary Schamehorn

January 11, 2017

Not sure where I got the first picture, as it is not good quality, but this was taken sometime after the Fire of 1936 ... probably in the late '40s or early '50s.

Ed Gallier Plumbing
Ed Gallier Plumbing

At left you can see Ed Gallier Plumbing, which is now the Bandon Mercantile, and next to it was Southwestern Motors (now the home of The Laurel), both facing Highway 101. Looming behind the two buildings is the Coast Lumber Yard, which was torn down some years ago and is now a vacant parking lot, facing Fillmore Avenue.

Although you can't see it in the picture, the plumbing building was in an L-shape, and Ed and Edith Gallier lived in the back part of the building. I often walked along the sidewalk here as I headed downtown, since I grew up only a block or two away (across the highway from the cheese factory).

The second picture was taken in March of 1962 as firefighters battle a blaze at the Paul Jennings home outside of town.

Firefighters battle a blaze, 1962
Firefighters battle a blaze, 1962

In the foreground, in the white cap, is Fire Chief Walt Ashton. The guy in the plaid shirt, with the nozzle in his hand, looks a lot like Butch Richert, but I am not sure he was on the fire department, so I may just be guessing.

I can remember taking the third picture as I was not only the reporter for Western World, but was also on the City Council when a huge sinkhole developed at Chicago Avenue and First Street, in the early '80s, in front of the building (where Graydon Stinnett had his fisheries office) that is now the Wheelhouse Restaurant.

Filling a sinkhole, early '80s
Filling a sinkhole, early '80s

The hole was large enough that a car could easily have ended up in there, but fortunately, someone saw it and alerted the City before anything like that occurred. If I remember correctly, an underground pipe had separated, causing water to undermine the dirt beneath the pavement.

*           *           *

I learned this week that Bandon native and long-time friend of mine, Barbara Norton McMahon, died at the age of 78. Survivors include her husband, Jack McMahon, two sons, Mark and Jerry, and four grandchildren.

A Celebration of Life will be held Saturday, Jan. 28, at the VFW Hall at 1 p.m.

Barbara was the daughter of Margaret (Walstrom) and Robert G. Norton, who owned The Golden Rule Department Store (now the Continuum Building) in downtown Bandon for many years. She had one sister, Janice. Her grandparents owned The Golden Rule at the time of the Fire, when it was on the south side of First Street, but they rebuilt on Second Street after the Fire.

Barbara had been battling cancer for the last few years.

*           *           *

I also learned that Googer (Jerry) Kiefer, a member of one of Bandon's foremost sports families, was found dead in his apartment of an apparent aneurysm. Googer graduated from Bandon High School in 1978, a year behind brother Gary, and was in his late '50s. He also has three older brothers, Newt, Dewey and Hiemer, and two sisters, Diane (Toad), and Karen who died several years ago.

His parents were Buck and Neva Dean Kiefer, who never missed a game if one of the kids were on the floor or field . . .

*           *           *

I have been hearing a lot about the weather this weekend, particularly in the Eugene area. Mid-day on Sunday I received a press release from the Oregon State Police which said they had responded to over 750 traffic incidents in a 36-hour period. These included 91 road hazards, 266 disabled vehicles and 394 reported crashes, most of which were weather related.

Fortunately, the press release pointed out that no lives were lost, but they were urging motorists to travel safely during the storm IF they had to be on the roads..

"If traveling is not necessary, please don't. If it is necessary . . . please check with to see travel conditions and chain requirements."

Later in the day, Lane County Commissioner Pat Farr posted on Facebook that people should stay out of West Eugene, which he likened to an ice skating rink.

Snow and ice also coated the Eugene Airport runways, cancelling many flights.

This is certainly going to be the winter to remember!!!

*           *           *

The outgoing Secretary of State, Jeanne Atkins, who served 22 months in the position after Kate Brown became Governor, ended her tenure last week with an opinion piece in The Oregonian.

She said: "Elections are changing: the internet can spread bad information faster than you can get accurate information out, and in a more reader-friendly way. The days are gone when an elections official can just stand by during campaign season and focus only on counting the ballots. They still need to pay attention to that central task, but educating the public about the process -- and responding firmly and quickly so misinformation about the process -- is now the responsibility of every state and local elections officer.

"I learned the hard way: Many hours after items were posted on Facebook and already viewed by hundreds of Oregonians. We were responding to fake stories of ballots with only one presidential candidate listed and real stories from another state about how a first class stamp wasn't enough to get a ballot to a county clerk. Not only do elections officials need to be prepared to act quickly, they need to learn to communicate more like the media that the electorate is actually reading."

I can certainly understand her last statement as it is something all elected/appointed officials struggle with: determining which medium will actually reach the voters/people. And that's not always easy . . .

*           *           *

I thought of a discussion by City Attorney Fred Carleton at a recent council meeting when I read a story in the World about repeated acts of Coos Bay city councilors deliberating toward a decision, including trying to figure out a way to fire the city manager, etc., through email correspondence.

The World had obtained a series of email messages between councilors, which pretty clearly spoke to a lack of transparency ... and how not to conduct the public's business.

Our attorney was counseling us about the same kinds of things, while all the while admitting that he did not think we were guilty of these kinds of violations.

And, after reading the World's article, I can assure people we are not.

I will say that the World editor Larry Campbell and his crew did a fantastic job of letting his readers know what was going on both in and out of Coos Bay city council meetings . .

*           *           *

Saw an item in the paper the other day which interested me. We read a lot about both medical and recreational marijuana, but I was still not sure just how many states allowed one or both forms of the weed.

It seems that 28 states allow the sale of medical marijuana, and eight states and the District of Columbia have legalized adult use of recreational marijuana, including Oregon, Colorado, Washington, California, Nevada, Massachusetts, Maine and Alaska.

I do hope that most people are not as clueless as a Beaverton man, who had 240 pot plants seized from his home after he told the TV station that gardening was his hobby and he was unaware of the limits on growing recreational marijuana.

It's four plants.

*           *           *

On at least three occasions in recent weeks, I have received a call from a 541-404 ... number, although the last four digits were different each time. When I went to answer it, all I heard on the other end was music ...

Each time I would try to call the number, but all I got was a message that said the person I was trying to call had not yet set up his voice mail box.

Whatever that means?

I am wondering if this has been happening to others, who may have a clue as to what it's about.

As I See It

by Mary Schamehorn

Mary Schamehorn

January 04, 2017

While going through the darkroom of my late uncle, Lou Felsheim, I found a big batch of negatives, labeled "Eisenhower," which contained photos taken by Lou when the President visited Portland in October 1956.

President Eisenhower visits Portland, 1956
President Eisenhower visits Portland, 1956

My uncle and my grandfather were loyal Republicans, so I guess it wasn't surprising that Lou went to Portland to listen to the sitting President, who was accompanied by his wife, Mamie, and in the above picture with one time Secretary of the Interior Doug McKay and his wife (running for the Senate at that time), and in the center, Harrison Ellsworth, a Congressman from Roseburg, who was a long-time friend of my grandparents.

The second photo, although not dated, was probably taken in the early '70s or the late '60s. This was the platform across Ferry Creek between our front yard (at left) and Highway 101 across from what is now Face Rock Creamery. You can clearly see the Oregon Egg Producers building, which had been moved across Ferry Creek and onto property at the east side of Grand Avenue, where it still sits today (as the Highway 101 marketplace).

Platform across Ferry Creek
Platform across Ferry Creek

The third photo of 230 Second Street Gallery was taken sometime in the early '80s when it was located across Second Street from Lloyds. At far left, if it hasn't been cropped out of the picture, was Carl Williams' barbershop. The gallery building was later enlarged and now houses Second Street Gallery and Coastal Mist.

230 Second Street Gallery
230 Second Street Gallery

*           *           *

I almost decided not to write my column this week because I have basically been housebound (mostly in bed) for nearly a week with whatever is going around. I'd call it a bad cold, but it is more a terrible cough, which sounds like what we used to call "croup" in the old days.

*           *           *

I happened to read the letter to the editor in last week's Western World titled "Float had negative tone, concerning last year's Festival parade.

It had to do with the float depicting Hillary Clinton behind bars and the chant of "lock her up."

The letter writer, from Vancouver, Wash., said he would never attend the Cranberry Festival parade again because the float had been in the parade.

Actually, it was not allowed to be in the parade, but instead whoever was responsible for it decided to drive it along the parade route ... before the parade even got under way. That is why so many people saw it . . .as we were already seated and waiting for the parade to start.

I do not think you can blame the festival or parade organizers ... they did not "allow" it to be in the parade.

This is not the first tasteless entry that I can remember over the years and, believe me, the chamber has done all it could to keep things like this out. And I know they will continue to do so.

I'd be more inclined to thank chamber members for their efforts in continuing to keep the Cranberry Festival alive for all of us ...

*           *           *

In late October, the Oregonian carried an article headlined, "Oregon lags on mental health services," which tells a sad story of where Oregon ranks when it comes to helping those suffering from mental health issues.

The annual ranking by Mental Health America determined that Oregon ranked near the bottom for people seeking counsel. "In fact, of all 50 states plus the District of Columbia, Oregon ranked 49th."

On a more positive note, the results of the study shows that while Oregon has one of the highest percentage of individuals with mental illness, we are 21st in the nation with access to care.

That figure was probably based largely on the fact that the state of Oregon opened a new $130 million mental health facility in Junction City less than two years ago.

And that is the same mental health hospital that Governor Kate Brown has now advocated closing to save an estimated $35 million a year ... which is the amount the state has pledged to the University of Oregon as its partial share of the new science facility, for which Nike executive and Oregon benefactor Phil Knight and his wife have donated $500 million.

Closing the new hospital at Junction City is definitely not in the best interest of addressing Oregon's mental health crisis!!

*           *           *

Bandon Dunes Golf Resort owner Mike Keiser recently announced that his Sheep Ranch course, north of Bandon Dunes, would become the site for the fifth 18-hole golf course at the resort.

Keiser is quoted in an article on that the new course should happen in the next two years, and should not face the kind of difficulty his plans for Bandon Muni (which was to have been built south of town) experienced as Keiser owns the Sheep Ranch property with his business partner, Phil Friedmann.

The 300-acre site has a mile of coastline.

Keiser has also said he is planning to add another par 3 course at Bandon Dunes south of the 13-hole Bandon Preserve and west of the first holes of Bandon Trails.

Keiser abandoned his plans to build the 27-hole course south of town after years of negotiations with the Oregon Parks Department and the Bureau of Land Management, but he still admits that he has enough land of his own to build an 18-hole course there . . . so that could still happen.

That course would have allowed locals to play at a greatly reduced price, and many were anxiously awaiting it being built, but the government red tape/bureaucracy became too much to deal with.

*           *           *

After learning that at least one well known Bandon man was planning to move to Canada because of the election, a friend shared her findings with me about the advisability/possibility of such a move.

"Hold the phone, Mary. I spoke the other day with a friend of mine who fell in love with a property in British Columbia. She and her husband attempted to make an offer, but the realtor -- with a great deal of integrity -- asked about their age. One was over 65. The realtor suggested that they meet with an immigration attorney, as the immigration laws in Canada are very strict.

"They met with the recommended attorney. If an individual is over the age of 65, they are not allowed to immigrate to Canada without over $300,000 in reserve in an account to cover the costs of their health needs. Further, anyone over the age of 65 will forego their US social security benefits unless they have a home in the US that they will reside in no less than three consecutive months every year.

"Needless to say, the deal was not done, and my friends are now seeking their retirement home in the United States," said my friend.

*           *           *

I recently printed out an article from the Morning Oregonian of Portland ... dated June 19, 1914. Its main focus was the 1914 fire, which destroyed part of Bandon's business district. But it contained some very interesting information about the state of Bandon's health in those days.

It adds: "The Bandon people figure that per capita they have by far the largest payroll in Oregon. It is about $2.25 per capita per day, or some $7000 each working day of the year. One wonders, at first, who pays all this money, but when one looks at the shipping industry and the longshoremen, the mills and box factories, several ship-building plants, the creameries and the adjacent coal mines, the logging, tie and pole camps, the large mercantile establishments, the small and large manufacturing plants in other industries, it is found that Bandon is a regular bee-hive of industries."

And to top if off at that time, Bandon had three newspapers, the Western World, the Bandon Recorder and the Bandon Surf.

Within the next couple of years, the only paper that survived was the Western World, owned by my grandfather .... who ran it until he died of a heart attack on the golf course in 1962.

And by that time, my uncle was also was working there ... and I had just gotten my start in journalism .. .

Previous columns by Mary Schamehorn